Thursday, September 25, 2008

FYI: "Advice for Students: Start Planning Now for Life After College"

Over the years, I've played with an assignment design which would have students interview folks who have completed college and ask the question, "What do you wish you had done/learned in college you didn't?" I admit, I secretly expected folks to hear, "I wish I'd learned to write better. I have to write all the time now." I've never implemented the assignment, but I know for a fact there are opportunities and support in college which 95% of students never even think to explore. Think internships. Think career services.

I occasionally google and research such advice to current students. It's one way I try to make sure my courses teach knowledge, skills, and techniques which are useful both in and out of college.

For your consideration, here's such advice from a source I read everyday and whom I--mostly--respect, namely, lifehack.org:

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/advice-for-students-start-planning-now-for-life-after-college.html

I especailly want to call your attention to the follow piece of advice:

7. Become a great writer.

No matter what field you hope to go into, and no matter what job you hope to have in that field, writing skills will get you further than almost any other competency. “Written communication skills are ESSENTIAL for most careers today,” writes Pollak. Look at every written assignment as a chance to develop better writing and editing skills. Ask for feedback from your professors. Take writing classes, either for credit or through adult extension. Join a writing group, or form one. Read writing books (Stephen King’s On Writing is a great one and highly readable). In short, do whatever you can to become a better writer – you’ll be putting yourself two or three steps ahead of the rest of your graduating class.

No comments: